TOWN OF PERINTON
WINTER PARKING ORDINANCE IN EFFECT
The Town of Perinton's Winter Parking Ordinance prohibits parking on all public streets in the Town between 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from November 1 through April 1. Cooperating with this law allows the Department of Public Works to plow and de-ice roads in a safe and efficient manner. Any vehicles found parked on a street during the restricted hours can be ticketed and/or towed.
In addition to these parking restrictions, the Department of Public Works requests that residents refrain from parking on public streets at any time of the day during a snow event, when it is evident that a plow run will be occurring.
Other winter safety tips include:
· Parents should not allow their children to build snow forts or play on the snow banks along the roadside or the snow piles formed in cul-de-sacs. These are areas where children will not be visible to passenger vehicles or Town snow plows.
· Drivers should never attempt to pass a Town snow plow on the right side.
· Drivers should maintain a safe distance between their vehicle and the rear of Town snow plows. A minimum of 100 feet is a good rule of thumb. Town snow plow trucks are large heavy vehicles that are as susceptible to the effects of negotiating a slippery snow and ice covered road as a typical passenger vehicle. They also make sudden stops, "dump" snow from the plow, and then back up before continuing to plow. Please be cautious when traveling near any Town plow truck.
· Homeowners and contractors should refrain from placing snow in the street or on a sidewalk when clearing a driveway.
· When clearing a driveway, piling snow on the left side (as determined when facing the driveway from the street) will lessen the amount of snow left in the driveway by the Town snow plow.
· The Town of Perinton will do its best to make the roads as safe as possible during a snow event. However, the rate of snowfall and below freezing temperatures will frequently cause road surfaces to be snow covered and slippery. It is imperative that motorists take these conditions into consideration when driving. By lowering speeds, leaving for a destination earlier, increasing following distance, and implementing other sensible winter driving skills, together we can create a safe driving environment when Mother Nature unleashes her winter fury.
If you believe your vehicle has been towed as a result of a violation of the Winter Parking Restrictions, contact the Public Works Office at 223-5115 for retrieval information.
Section 7 of the Perinton Town Code
- When deemed advisable in the interest of public safety or for snow removal, the Town Commissioner of Public Works, by signs placed or erected, may prohibit parking, stopping or unloading, as the case may require, and all pedestrians and drivers of vehicles shall comply with those regulations. There shall be no parking on public streets, highways or roadways in the Town of Perinton from 2:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. from November 1 through April 1 of each year. [Amended 9-14-1988 by L.L. No. 4-1988; 7-26-1989 by L.L. No. 2-1989]